By a special act of the Legislature passed March 19, 1888, a police force was established in the village, regulated and governed by a board of police commissioners. Previous to this time the patrolmen were under authority and special fee compensation of the village board of trustees. The first board of police commissioners consisted of Francis Riley, president of the village and board, Charles C. Spencer and John H. Cronin. Their first meeting was held March 26, 1888. The first patrolmen were Thomas McManaway, chief, who is at present acting in the same capacity, John McPartlin and Hugh Reed. The present force consists of Thomas McManaway, chief; Byron Willis and Auer Powers.
Our mission is to provide the highest quality police service and to impact crime through the utilization of new and proven crime prevention strategies and problem-solving partnerships with our community. We are a full service police department located in the Northeastern region of Rensselaer County NY.